In order to support CARA in promoting in-country adoption and regulating intercountry adoption, ICPS provides for establishing of a State Adoption Resource Agency(SARA) in every State/UT as a unit under the SCPS, to coordinate, monitor and develop the work of adoption and render secretarial and administrative assistance to the State Adoption Advisory Committee(SAAC).
SARA shall liaison with DCPU at District levels and provide technical support to the Child Welfare Committees in carrying out the process of rehabilitation and social reintegration of all children through sponsorship, foster-care, in-country and intercountry adoption.
The specific roles and responsibilities of SARA shall include:
- Functioning as the State level Resource Centre to coordinate, monitor and develop the adoption program in the State;
- Facilitating the setting up of SAAs, provide legal recognition to SAAs and maintain a comprehensive list of such agencies;
- Ensure that all adoptions/permanent placements of children are done in accordance with the Laws & Guidelines of the Supreme Court of India and Government of India;
- Promote in-country and regulate inter-country adoptions in coordination with CARA;
- Maintain a centralized web-based database of adoptable children with the help of DCPU as a part of the child tracking system;
- Maintain a centralize web-based database of prospective adoptive parents with the help of DCPU;
- Supervise the work of SAAs and ensure coordination between them within State;
- Ensuring that all PAPs are registered at SAA/ SARA;
- Providing comprehensive adoption data to CARA on monthly basis;
- Ensuring sensitization of all agencies and allied systems; (xi) Enhancing capacity of those working in the adoption system;
- Taking necessary punitive action when malpractices occur in the adoption program whether by licensed /recognized adoption agencies or by unlicensed individuals or organizations.
- Advocacy and awareness for promoting adoptions in the State;
- Developing and disseminating IEC materials.
Structure of State Child Protection Society and SARA